Evaluating the Tigers through a Sabermetric lens

Monday, September 21, 2009

Position Player Value Breakdown

Inspired by these cool graphs, I've taken to a less-asthetically-pleasing graph of value breakdown. I don't have a cool graphing program, so these are just Excel graphs. I also couldn't decide which I liked better -- horizontal or vertical bar graphs -- so I've got them both, for your view pleasure.


Click on both images to enlarge.

What these graphs show is, obviously, how each player I've looked at arrive at their cumulative value. I didn't include "Replacement" runs which turns "Runs Above Average" into "Runs Above Replacement" and then, when you divide by 10, you get "Wins Above Replacement."

Predictably, Miguel Cabrera's value lies in his immense talents at the plate. But what I find most interesting from these graphs, is the way it depicts the "invisible" value that players have -- defense and position.

Taking Gerald Laird, for example, I've included defense into his numbers. Fangraphs doesn't carry defensive estimations for Catchers because it's hard to figure out what to give to them. There have been some attempts, but I'm going off of this leader board put together over at Beyond the Boxscore on August 5th. For Laird, what I've done is taken his 16.12 runs above average in his first 711 innings and extrapolated it out over his 981 innings which gives him 22.4 runs above the average catcher. That is what I mean by "invisible" value. You know that Gerald Laird has been excellent in throwing out runners this year, but did you know that when you include passed balls and his reputation around the league are added in, his defense makes up about half of his total value?

Tigers fans have lamented the offense this year -- and for good reason -- but Gerald Laird brings much more to the table than his paltry batting line this year.

Quick hits about the graph(s):

-Miguel Cabrera's offense alone (40.2 runs) is more than anyone else's total value in these graphs (Laird, 32.1 and Granderson and Polanco are both at 31.2 total).

-Marcus Thames should probably be gone next year. He's only going to be more expensive and while his $2.275 million didn't break the bank this year, it's just money being wasted.

-Clete Thomas may have a long swing that leads to a lot of K's, but his defense this year has been unreal; +13.4 runs this year already.

Leave any questions you've got in the comments, I'll answer them. I also want all criticism on what would make these graphs better understood/look better.

5 comments:

  1. Avila?

    I know his WAR is already 0.9. Laird's is 1.0. Of course, as you mentioned, Fan Graphs assumes all catchers are the same defensively. In Laird's case, that is obviously not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them. I haven't been able to find a way I like to show negative values in charts like these. Did you see Graham's charts at Lookout Landing that attempted to show similar data (Sky had a BtB fanshot about them)?

    Anyhow, thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I'm not opposed to looking into Avila's numbers, but I don't have catcher's defense tracked and I wouldn't feel comfortable just doing offense + position for him right now.

    Steve, thanks. I didn't see Graham's charts at LL, do you have a link?

    No problem. I had come across your site through a fanshot you had at BtB and really, really enjoyed it. I need to get Excel 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    Here's the link for Graham's charts. He revises them down in the comments too.

    http://tinyurl.com/mlmc5d

    Yep, I'm a big fan of Excel 2007; had it at work, and got fed up trying to make charts for my site using 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Steve. Those are interesting. Not sure I'm really feelin' the arrows, though. Seems like a ... weird way to show the value.

    ReplyDelete