Evaluating the Tigers through a Sabermetric lens

Monday, August 17, 2009

A Look Back at Rob Deer

Here's a nice look back at Rob Deer and that era of baseball over at American Polymath -- a monthly online magazine. I found it a good, quick read that hopefully has interest among other Tigers fans.

I'm only 23, so guys hitting 30 homers are common place to me. So, for someone like Rob Deer to hit 21 home runs in 8 straight seasons, and have it be quite the accomplishment is something that I can't get my head around. In fact, he finished top ten in the league in homers in 1986, 1989, 1990 and 1992 and in those years he hit 'just' 33, 26, 27 and 32 long balls.

In other baseball history stuff, I came across this link thanks to Syshter ball. It's a link to some newspaper clippings about Josh Gibson who was dubbed The Basher for his prodigious power. I find the Negro Leagues and Gibson endlessly fascinating. Apparently the Negro Leagues statistics used in the Baseball Hall of Fame will be released sometime next summer, which, of course, will be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment